ASAP’s Appliance Use & Care Tips
In order to obtain the best performance of your appliance, prolong its lifespan and ensure your safety, follow the instructions for proper operation and maintenance. To help you use your appliance correctly, here are some useful hints:
- Make sure there is always plenty of food stored in your freezer. A fully loaded freezer retains cold air. This way the compressor is not overworked and your energy savings are better.
- You can avoid the formation of unpleasant smells if you periodically empty the ice maker at intervals of a few months.
- To completely eliminate odor, cleaning with a solution of one part vinegar and one part water is recommended.
- Carefully wipe down the inside of the refrigerator after removing the glass panes and the shelves.
- One solution to avoid overworking of the compressor is to clean the condenser coils at regular intervals.
- Always clean the refrigerator with soft, non-abrasive cloth in order to prevent scratches.
- For the efficient functioning of your refrigerator and freezer keep the temperature adjustment constant. The ideal settings are 34-38F for the refrigerator and 0-4F for the freezer. This not only protects the compressor from overworking but also contributes to energy conservation.
- Make sure that there is nothing at the back, at the top, and on both sides of the refrigerator to obstruct air circulation. The minimum spacing is three inches.
- Change the water filter of your refrigerator every year. This way the water remains clean, clogs are avoided, and your household is protected from leakage.
- Pay special attention to accurately level your refrigerator. If mounted on an inclined surface, the door seal of the refrigerator loses its airtightness.
- To avoid fire hazard it is necessary to clean the lint screen every time you load the dryer.
- It is a good idea to check the dryer vent periodically. If the dryer vent is blocked, the heating efficiency will deteriorate and the risk of fire will increase.
- Make sure that the vent hoses of the dryer are the shortest possible. To obtain the best results do not allow kinks.
- Never overload your clothes dryer. Overloading prevents the proper air circulation within the appliance.
- For those who are handy at housework, we recommend to clean the interior of the dryer’s chassis at intervals of few years. Though the lint catch is designed to stop a great quantity of lint from entering the chassis, in the course of time there is inevitable accumulation.
- It is absolutely necessary to replace vinyl vent hoses with aluminum vent hoses. Vinyl vent hoses are incompatible with the heat developed by contemporary dryers.
Clothes Washer USE & CARE TIPS
- Prior to loading the washer, always check the pockets of your clothing. Any metal objects such as coins, buttons, etc., must be removed as they can damage the pump of the washing machine.
- Do not neglect the information on the garment labels. Some laundry articles require special treatment and permissible water temperature.
- Never place your clothes washer on a non-level surface. Failure to observe this requirement will lead to quick wear and reduced lifespan of the appliance.
- If you have a front-loading clothes washer, remember to pull the front door open when the machine is not functioning. Otherwise, mold may grow and unpleasant smells appear. To prevent foul odor we recommend Affresh®.
- Sort your laundry according to color. Mixing whites and dark-colored garments in hot water may lead to release of dye and discoloration.
- Broken hoses cause water leakage. It is important to replace the hoses after a period of five years.
Dishwasher USE & CARE TIPS
- Always choose kitchen ware which is identified as dishwasher-proof.
- As of the latest EPA regulations today’s dishwasher detergents, which are phosphate-free, cannot eliminate the white deposit on your dishes. LemiShine® is your answer to the issue of hard tap water. A water softener can completely eliminate the problems caused by hard water.
- Rinsing the cooking utensils before placing them in the dishwasher helps you protect the drain pipe from clogging and eventual rupture. There is no need to clean spotlessly, just remove the large food particles.
- Ensure that your dishwasher is placed on a level surface in order to avoid possible leakage.
- If you use a powder detergent, do not buy a great quantity. The expiration term of powder detergents is short; they become less powerful in the course of few weeks.
- Do not use detergents containing rinse aids if you have a built-in rinse aid.
- Before switching on the dishwasher make sure the spray arm is not blocked and rotates freely.
Range / Oven / Stove USE & CARE TIPS
- For glass top stoves avoid using abrasive materials and cleaning agents. They can irreparably scratch the surface of the appliance.
- The standard bulbs for your oven are 40 W. If they burn out, you can easily replace them.
- Take care not to scratch your glass top stove if you use cast iron and stone cooking ware. The glass may not be strong enough to withstand.
- A damaged glass top will cost you about $200-$300. For that reason it is much wiser not to store heavy items upon a glass top stove.
If you have any questions regarding the proper maintenance of your appliance, we will be glad to help. Call us at (615) 410-2480 or e-mail us.